This post actually covers all the work since the last update, since I’ve been more focused on the actual work than writing up the post. Sorry about that, but at least I remembered to take screenshots this time!

The first step was creating and setting up the actual user object, which was fairly simple. We already had a User class so it was a simple matter of altering it, adding an instance to the personal info view controller, and adding some code so it correctly displays the current data as part of the options.

I began working on the next part, which was to add the edit functionality to each button. I had originally intended to do this by having each button bring up a keyboard, whose results would become the new data associated with that button. However, after talking with Evan we ended up editing this plan drastically. The new plan calls for several changes. In terms of the areas being displayed and edited, we need to have the first and last names be editable, instead of the username, which will be constant.

Also, instead of having it be an additional view on the existing navigation controller, it will be done via a modal controller. This change was the first that I did, since I have done similar changes before and knew what I needed to do. You can see in the screenshot that there is a done and reset button. Depending on how the data moves, I may have it set so that the reset button can restore the original values of each button. This would assume that the modal data is not committed to the actual user object until the done button is pressed. On the other hand, if we simply have every edit change the user object, then this reset button will be removed, and the done button may be reworded to Back to prevent confusion about this.

Finally, instead of having the current value on the right side of the cell, Evan wanted me to match some of the other cells in the application by having an editable text subview in the middle of the cell that has the current value defaulted to it. This subview will bring up the keyboard when pressed, which will edit that value. In the screenshot you can see that I have been trying to implement this on the username, but have not had any success.

Eventually, I figured out that it was stemming from an error I had made in the initialization checks, where I had actually made the case for when the subview already existed, but forgotten to make it in the first place, and was able to get the text field instead of the read-only subtitle thing. With that done with, I went ahead and changed the username to first name and last name to match that part of the design change and extended the text field change to all four areas.

The next part was to get the field to actually do something. I ran into several issues here, because the delegate function called from the text field just has the text field as an argument, without any reference to which text field it actually is. I eventually resolved this after playing around with the text field tags, which involved several small oops moments where I had to wrestle with NSLog and some silly things where I was thinking way too hard about how to get from the textfield to the cell view, before remembering that I had already set tags. With a few tweaks to make sure each option gets its own unique tag and some test outputs, I had an easy way to identify each text field.

From there, it was just a matter of setting up some conditionals and writing to the user object.

One interesting note about the behavior that I haven’t figured out if it is required is the fact that the user must hit Return before it actually saves the new data to the object. This is due to how the delegate function is called, and I don’t see any immediate solution if we want to do this differently.

Also, the personal info has a similar issue as the preferences where the data is not persistent across runs. Within a single run it does persist, however, as seen in the screenshot where the previous screenshot’s edit has taken hold and is now the initial displayed value.

I also removed the reset button, since each edit affects the user object directly (and so there is no way TO reset currently…although if you hit Done without hitting return it won’t save and so this is an indirect way of getting that behavior!).

And yes, I did get the password to work the way I wanted, where it always displays it as the right number of * for the password, without displaying it. I was amused the first time I tested it because I entered some gibberish and iOS tried to autocorrect it and got Cthulhu.

Advertisements